Unity Diary

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

He's not saying what I said

A man comes in distraught. He is being evicted from his flat, he has a teenage daughter and he is ill, he has visible marks of torture. He rants, "I had a truck and a car burned out for these people. I risked my life transporting white, British people across the border to South Africa so they would be safe, and now I am treated like this."

He talks of his interview with the home office. His English is perfect but according to the rules there must be an interpreter, the interpreter is from his country but a different tribe, they have no real common language although he can understand what the interpreter says. During the interview when the interpreter is speaking to the person from the home office and got it wrong the man spoke up to say no, that's not what I said. But the official said, "I have to take what the interpreter says".

There is another man with us in the office who now starts to speak too. "That happenned with me too. The interpreter they brought spoke one of my languages but was from a country far away so the dialect was completely different and she often didn't understand what I said. They wouldn't let me just talk to them in my English."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home